United Systems Fleet
United Systems Fleet (or USF) is an Orbiter project of sci-fi add-ons, together creating a universe of the 22nd century, when several powerful space empires or unions fight each other. USF add-ons represent fictional planets, spaceships, stations and bases as a part of this space in the year 2169.
- United Systems Fleet v1.0 2010-08-16 at Orbiter-forum/resources.
- United Systems Fleet v1.1 2011-02-19 at Orbiter-forum/resources.
- The entire original pack is now available in "United Systems Fleet v1.2" package, available at United Systems Fleet v1.2 at Orbiter-forum/resources.
- The next version is available at United Systems Fleet v1.2 2011-07-17 at Orbiter-forum/resources.
- The 1.3 version will bring revolutional improvements. It is currently under construction. SEE WHAT'S NEW!
Our story takes place in "Nearest Systems" - a star system add-on originally created just before the USF. Seventy one fictional planets, moons and stars in ten real-based star systems. located within distance of 30 LY from the Sun. The distances had to be scaled down because of limits of Orbiter, so the most distant star system - Gamma Leporis is actually located 300AU from the Sun. The Solar system itself had to be reduced to Earth and Moon to let more space for our nearest neighbors, such as Alpha Centauri (40AU from Sun).
Which side will you choose?
There are four sides competing each other:
- United Systems Coalition
- A military alliance of star systems united to protect all it's inhabitants from outer menaces.
- Today it contains our Solar system, Alpha Centauri, Epsilon Eridani and Tau Ceti. The United Systems Fleet is built by all of the members together. The coalition fights for survival, so all the technologies are shared. Faster-than-light travel, imported and introduced on Earth in 2071 by Yereidian traders from Tau Ceti, has become the most important milestone in Earth's history. It brang us new possibilites, but also new enemies. As a new force, we were soon preventively attacked by the Deneroth Empire. This attack forced the Earth leaders to join the Coalition initiative of neighboring systems. So the United Systems Coalition was founded in 2098. Since then, a hundred-years-war with the Deneroth Empire continues.
- Deneroth Empire
- An agressive military empire led by doctrine of a constant war. In early 22. century, The Deneroth dramatically expanded in search for new resources. Its numerous army occupies a number of star systems and abuses it's population for fighting the United Systems Coalition. The Deneroth technology doesn't seem to reach the same level, as in the USC, so the empire attempts to capture every valuable ship to update it's technological level. As a result, the Deneroth starships distantly remind some of the older Earth constructions.
- Baata Nlloya (The Great Confraternity)
- In our space, where an isolated system is too weak to survive a space attack, several star systems recently united into a military pact. They use their power to attack the Coalition, weakened by the war with Deneroths. However, The Great Confraternity is very unstable pact involved in many internal conflicts.
- Neutral System of Mulciber
- In 2036, the ESA sent the second scientific mission to the Mars. The spaceship got lost. In fact, the spaceship was accidentaly co-transported by a passing Yereidian convoy, yet completely unnoticed. The crew experienced the first FTL jump in human history. They managed to crash-land on a nearby uninhabited planet called Mulciber, which was previously evaluated by the Yereidians as without any tradable resources, and thus not interesting. The more surprising was discovery of an independent human civilisation on Mulciber at the end of the 21st century. It's self-defence capacities were inconsiderable and soon, in 2102 Mulciber was attacked and shortly occupied by The Deneroth Empire. This forced the USC to intervene and return the lost freedom to Mulciberians. Since then, Mulciber remains isolated and refuses any offers of membership in the Coalition in fear of causing another Denerothian attack, that would demolish their planet once more.
A typical 200 meters long ship consists of a crew compartment and an engineering section, eventually a hangar for smaller spacecrafts or weapons-control compartments. Bigger ships like Hawking class science ships or Praeon class battleships are much more complicated machines, so they require hundreds or even thousands of crew members. Ships of this size are usually unable to enter atmosphere of a planet. However, smaller spacecrafts - transport ships, shuttles, fighters and emergency lifeboats are designed for repeated re-entry and free atmospheric flight.
Every modern interstellar ship has a powerful G-H (gliesium - hydrogene) generator. The fuel - gliesium - is a very expensive and strategic material. The G-H generator regulates a powerful electromagnetic reaction of gliesium and hydrogene. The quantity of emitted energy is used to create plasma for sub-light impulse drive (controlled via MAIN THRUST and RETRO THRUST) as well as to create and maintain a stable dynamic EM field for interstellar FTL drive*. The large emmiters in the rear part of the ship serve as thrusters for both drives simultaneously, but FTL drive needs a system of rails and additional emmiters to keep ship's force field stable. For sub-light maneuvering, the ships are equipped with a series of small maneuvering thrusters (controlled via RCS). The rest of ship's energy is used for running necessary systems and defensive EM shields. Several advanced ships use a pair of H-G generators, where the secondary is used exclusively for defensive shielding.
- (for FTL travel you need to install one of the warp add-ons recommended in read-me file in the USF package)
The main weapon system spread across the region is the particle cannon. A burst of highly energetic particles is shot against the enemy. The weapons are powered by special power generators onboard the ship. It is manufactured in many different sizes and calibers. There are three main categories:
- light particle cannon
- Weapons of power equal to a 40mm cannon from the end of 20th century. Mounted on fighter spacecrafts, usually in couples. Major producers on Earth are Padling Industrial Concern and Republic Weaponry Company
- medium particle cannon
- Weapons of power equal to a 120mm-150mm cannon from the end of 20th century. Mounted on larger warships as anti-fighter batteries. Major producers on Earth are Krupp AG and Narvik military industries.
- heavy particle cannon
- Most powerful category of weapons, which gradually evolved into guns up to 200 meters long. They are designed for fight between the most massive battleships used in combat. Power of one shot is equal to 100 000 kilograms of TNT.
Only one company on Earth is able to produce this kind of weapon - Krupp AG. Earth has become a leader of this technology, so even Deneroth heavy particle cannons evolved from the Earth-produced ones.
On Egga, a different type of weapon was developed. It's called AWT (anti-warship torpedo). Today only Eggan attack fighters are equipped with torpedo launchers. Explosive power of one torpedo is equal to 1000kg of TNT. One Varan-type attack fighter can carry 10 of them.
United Systems Coalition
- EOS station
- Praeon class battleship
- Hawking class research ship
- Cosfa USF-340 series fighter
- Quargin USF-409 series fighter
- Koraami II class medium freighter
- Sylfaen UST-12 series shuttle
- Madena class battleship
- Tyoto class assault frigate
- Yulaco J3 series fighter
- Paeston N7 series fighter
|United Systems Fleet
|Small combat spacecraft