OrbiterWiki:Village pump/Archive 2008-2010
I've got a couple of suggestions regarding this wiki:
- (done) Archive all the stuff we have on Village pump
- (done) Change the random addon voting: instead of casting votes, just list each one exactly once. Otherwise newly added addons are shown less often, and that's not very fair.
- Write the words OrbiterWiki across the logo (I can upload some of my attempts)
- Change the wiki back to case-insensitive. The development to make it _fully_ case insensitive never materialised obviously, so rather than sticking with the (as I see it) inconvenient _fully_ case sensitive we would be better off using the standard case sensitivity mode (same as Wikipedia)
I'll do all of these things if no-one complains :) --RaMan 17:13, 11 February 2008 (UTC)
- Can you also check if the display of categories is still active? I just tested it and noticed that no article shows the category - though it should. --Urwumpe 08:28, 12 February 2008 (UTC)
- Fixed. --RaMan 23:16, 13 February 2008 (UTC)
Database error when banning registered user
Database error when banning users:
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was: (SQL query hidden) from within function "Parser::replaceLinkHolders". MySQL returned error "1271: Illegal mix of collations for operation ' IN ' (localhost)".
--Urwumpe 01:15, 17 February 2008 (UTC)
- Will check this out asap. --RaMan 21:53, 18 February 2008 (UTC)
- Hmm it works for me. Might have been a temporary glitch. Post back if it happens again. --RaMan 22:11, 18 February 2008 (UTC)
- Confirmed, will be fixed soon. --RaMan 12:38, 12 April 2008 (BST)
We have a large number of bot users around from looking into the user list, is there a way to remove them from the user list? I can only ban those directly, who are active, which means we have a large number of sleeping bot accounts in our wiki. --Urwumpe 12:01, 11 March 2008 (UTC)
- I could purge all users having 0 edits easily. With a bit of thought and SQL magic I might be able to purge all users who have all their edits marked as vandalism - not sure how hard this would be though. --RaMan 12:40, 12 April 2008 (BST)
The latest vandalism and sock puppetry
After a short study of the matter on Wikipedia, I have two questions and I want really good answers:
And can I have CheckUser capability installed?
- Will do. --RaMan 13:03, 13 July 2008 (BST)
- Can you also have a look if the automatic IP-Ban feature is working properly, the log shows some strange messages:
11:05, 17 July 2008, Urwumpe (Talk | contribs | block) blocked #2058 (expires 11:05, 18 July 2008, account creation blocked) (Autoblocked because your IP address has been recently used by "URWUMPE WAR". The reason given for URWUMPE WAR's block is: "Abusing multiple accounts") (unblock)
--Urwumpe 12:52, 17 July 2008 (BST)
Why I have this question? Follow these links:
I want really good answers.
As long as this case is still open, I suppose not extending the user rights of anybody.
--Urwumpe 10:08, 21 June 2008 (BST)
- Read this as to who unknownquinones is. I would say Cwii just got 'Gerald' mad at him, and that Cwii, knowing that Gerald had been here, came and reverted his edits here as well. That said, I don't know for sure, I can find out more later today. To be 20:07, 21 June 2008 (BST)
- Thank you, I will remember this one. What ever this whole mess is about, OrbiterWiki is not going to be a battlefield for brain-dead teenagers. Looks like the measures by DanSteph and Tex had been more visionary than mine here.--Urwumpe 21:09, 21 June 2008 (BST)
- I am 90% sure his IP is (or at least was) 126.96.36.199. To be 19:11, 23 June 2008 (BST)
- I am 100% sure banning a single wireless broadband Internet provider IP will be very effective. The full network is 188.8.131.52/15. Without statistical knowledge of the access point(s) used, this will not improve the situation. I work on it. --Urwumpe 19:51, 23 June 2008 (BST)
I know that Gerald Gonzales will not stop to vandalize this site. Let's pray for his arrest. Sarah 17:44, 18 July 2008 (BST)
I've added a little AdSense box to the sidebar on the left. It's only visible to users who are not logged in. Hope you guys don't mind it too much... but the hosting costs add up to quite a lot over time.
As a bonus, the MediaWiki software was upgraded to 1.14, which is quite a few versions since the last upgrade! :) Keep an eye out for any probs and give me a shout - preferably on email - in case of any problems.
--RaMan 23:49, 14 March 2009 (UTC)