Our new spamfilter can be upgraded by admins on OrbiterWiki:SpamBlacklist. Please do so if you observe spam patterns, not covered by the filter. Try to make the rules as general as neccessary, but not too specialized - one line for each spam URL should be avoided, if they occur in patterns.
Vandalism management and vandal categories
For dealing with Spam and vandalism, OrbiterWiki uses a simple system of vandalism warning levels and bans. This system gets also used for IP numbers, regardless that the vandal might return with a new one. If a special network appears to be home of very active vandals, its OK to rate anonymous troublemakers one level higher in the vandalism scale, than usually.
- Lists the user in the Category:listed vandals
- Lists the user in the Category:final warning
- Lists the user in the Category:temp-ban, after he got banned by an Administrator.
- Lists the user in the Category:indefinite bans, after he got banned forever by an Administrator.
Some networks are only existing for the purpose of Spam. When encountering such a pattern, administrators are encouraged to assume that such activity is not the result of a zombie in a Spambot network, but actually the business model of this company.
Factors which are indicating a dedicated Spambot network:
- Repeated Spambot activity from within a small /8 network (The first three numbers of the IP are equal, but only the final forth number changes).
- Spambots from same network with final IP component increasing in succession (130, 131, 132, ...)
- IP range is not assigned to a larger provider, but actually to a dubious company.
- Other factors (like conceiled origin of the network owner), which speak for a criminal intend.
Networks in this category of vandals are:
- Category:Spambot from RBNET - RBusiness Network, a company pretending to come from Panama, but using european IP numbers managed by RIPE. Contact email addresses are from inbox.ru. Identified to be part of the Russian Business Network, a major cybercrime organization.
- Category:Spambot from Telenet Network - Used for a small group of reoccuring Spambot activity, which comes from increasing IPs. Not the whole Telenet (/19) Network is identified as spam source.