|DeltaGliderIII in low Earth orbit|
|First flight||date unknown|
|Entered service||date unknown|
|Wing area||- m2|
|RCS fuel||600 kg|
|Max. take-off||24,000 kg|
|Inertia PMI||15.5 / 22.1 / 7.7 m2|
|Max. delta-v||1,800 m/s|
|Max. accel||38 m/s2|
DeltaGliderIII is a successful attempt by Daniel "DanSteph" Polli to create an improved version of the standard-issue Delta-glider for the Orbiter space flight simulator. It has been built upon the now discontinued DeltaGliderII and has been succeeded by the more efficient DeltaGliderIV, "first flying" in May 2007.
Since the release of the DGIV, the DGIII is no longer avalable to download.
Features and capabilities
The DeltaGliderIII has been a major improvement over both the standard-issue Delta-glider Mk.2 and DeltaGliderII - complex, realistic yet easy to use. It features:
- realistic crew support:
- improved cockpit:
- realistic panels with many user friendly and rather intuitive features
- 40 integrated sounds; button, panel, systems, pilot's heart beat, afterburner, warnings, animation etc. etc.
- onboard flight computer with many displays and autopilots and ability to load user-defined programs
- a complete panel in three part with many systems; life, apu, engine etc.
- an autopilot that will help you during ascent, re-entry, landing etc.
- MMU also has panel and sound
- a new Check-list MFD
- realistic refueling that requires pilot's attention
- improved physics:
- crew can EVA and re-enter the ship
- crew can be exchanged between two DeltaGliderIII's (rescue mission available)
- a ship reacts to flight conditions (no more unrealistic re-entry or landing)
- improved visuals:
- new animations (deploy the ae35 antenna, see the air intake opening, open the canopy)
- reworked Delta-glider mesh that reflects the correct number of crew inside
- new hi-res 1024x1024 textures with many skins available
- can have many ships with different skins in one scenario
- 3 hi-res skins included with the base package
- strobe light
- engine smoke, ventil smoke, crash smoke, fuel dump smoke, dope smoke etc.
- improved configuration support:
- a config program that will help you set the skin, crew, payload, power, fuel, life reserve, etc.
- custom installer, no known install problems
History and evolution
DeltaGliderIII is a natural progression from the DeltaGliderII developed by the same author. The first official version of the DeltaGliderIII was released on 19 July 2004. On 15 May 2007, the successor DeltaGliderIV entered public beta testing, with final release being close.
The DeltaGliderIII was a vessel addon designed for Orbiter by Dansteph. It featured highly realistic and fully functional cockpit instruments, included flight instruments along with controls for the life support system, electrical systems, and fuel systems. The DeltaGliderIII simulated a live crew which could be killed by incorrect cabin pressure, temperature or CO2 level. Unlike most vessels in Orbiter at the time, the DeltaGliderIII was able to simulate damage due to overloads such as extreme G-forces or reentry temperature, damaging or destroying the vessel. Crew onboard a DeltaGliderIII were able to perform Extra-Vehicular Activities, also a first for Orbiter vessels at the time. (More...)